HOW TO LEARN SURF FOIL ?
BRUNO SROKA HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR SURF FOIL TIPS, 3x WORLD CHAMPION IN KITESURF :
To understand the first sensations of the foil and understand the mechanism, Bruno Sroka advises you to start the foil towed behind a boat. The advantages of starting behind a boat are many. First, the beginner will feel safe because he doesn’t have to worry about the other surfers around him and the bottom under his feet. In addition, the boat’s wave is a soft wave that unwinds, so it is the ideal wave to understand and analyze the flight mechanism. When it is not possible to start with a boat, the practitioner must take precautions when launching it to avoid any danger and danger is not to be taken lightly because foil accidents exist.
Precautions to take when launching :
- Choose a deserted spot or one with very little surfing around you.
- Plan a spot where there is enough bottom. (the longer your mast is, more you need the bottom)
- During the launch, remember to position the foil upside down behind you and slide it in your back until it is deep enough to turn the board over and start paddling.
- Choose a soft and flat wave that unwinds, these waves generally correspond to the mid-tides.
- Ideally and for more fun, choose waves of 40 cm up to 1m30 for experts.
- Start with a 65 cm mast and increase the size of the mast, thereafter, according to the level acquired.
- Start with a medium sized wing like the SROKA L 1500 wing.
Once on the water, surfers must analyze the positioning of their feet. To do this, the rear foot is located high above or slightly forward of the mast and the front foot is located in front of the front wing. The shoulder spacing should correspond to the position of your feet. In addition, Bruno Sroka advises you not to start with a board that is too small to gain stability. The 160×52 board from SROKA is more suitable for beginners than the pocket board, which is suitable for more experienced foilers.